Free disposal items
There are numerous items which can be disposed free of charge.
Items that can be recycled at council's resource recovery centres at no charge:
- Scrap metal - such as cars, whitegoods, upright stoves, microwaves, roofing iron or car exhausts
- Refrigeration appliances - council will organise fridge checks and degassing if required. Degassed appliances will be recycled for scrap metal.
- Kerbside recyclables - steel and aluminium cans, plastic milk/soft drink bottles, glass bottles and jars, paper and cardboard
- Domestic oil (maximum 20 litres) - motor vehicle oil (available at all council RRCs) and cooking oil (available at Beerwah, Buderim, Caloundra and Nambour RRCs only)
- Domestic pesticides and chemicals (maximum 20 litres)
- Architectural paint - water or solvent based (domestic or commercial, up to 100 litres per visit, in containers of up to 20 litres each). See photograph of paintback storage containers located at council's Resource Recovery Centres (service available at Beerwah, Buderim, Caloundra and Nambour RRCs only)
- Motor vehicle batteries (see photograph of battery pallet located at the recycling/recovery area)
- Gas bottles (except non-LPG bottles, pressure vessels such as Oxy, Acetylene and Scuba) - Not available Kenilworth Transfer Station or Yandina Transfer Station
- E-waste - printers, televisions, scanners, video game consoles, computers, laptops and monitors
- Clinical sharps - must be transported to the waste facilities and delivered by the customer in an approved sharps container. (See photographs of approved sharps containers below). Non-approved sharps containers or loose sharps are not accepted as they present serious health and safety risks to both the customer and staff. Only sharps from domestic customers are accepted. The approved sharps contains are placed in the Clinical Waste mobile garbage bin located at the recycling/recovery centre (see photograph below)
- Mobile telephones and accessories when placed in the MobileMuster bins (see photograph below) at council's resource recovery centres
- Printer cartridges
- Batteries - single use (Alkaline and button cell) and rechargeable ((Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride, Nickel Cadmium (dry), Nickel Cadmium (wet))
- Mercury bearing items - thermometers, electrodes, switches / relays, thermostats and blood pressure gauges
- Items that can be sold via the Recycle Markets such as furniture, toys or building materials. These items must be in saleable condition
- Clothing and clean rags - collected at Beerwah, Buderim and Caloundra RRCs
- X-ray film (ideally separated from envelopes but can be enclosed within envelopes) at Beerwah, Buderim, Caloundra and Nambour RRCs only. A daily limit of half a 240L wheelie bin per customer applies.
Paintback recycling bins
Paintback recycling bins