Buskers and street performers
  • Last updated:
  • 29 Jun 2022

All street performers working within the Sunshine Coast region must hold a current permit. These permits are issued by council.

New applications

Complete the application form and submit to council.


Street performance on the Sunshine Coast is regulated by the following local laws:

Frequently asked questions

An artist is a person who practices performing arts such as a circus performer, actor, musician and dancer or demonstrates creative arts such as a painter, sculptor, or writer.

Street performance is not a person who sells, offers or exposes for sale any article or commodity, or performs on behalf of any political or religious organisation.

Yes, all artists must hold a current permit issued by the Sunshine Coast Council.

If the artist is under 18 years of age, the application form must be signed by a parent/guardian. Additionally, if the artist is under 16 years of age, council requires the parent/guardian to provide supervision during street performance activities.

A non-refundable application fee applies and must be paid on lodgement of application. Please refer to the application form (DOCX, 253KB) for current fees.

The permit application fee for not-for-profit organisations is free. The applicant must be the not-for-profit organisation, not an individual.

The permit runs from 1 August to 31 July each year and prior to the permit expiring, an invitation to renew your permit will be issued in June of each year. 

Yes, it is recommended that artists arrange their own insurance cover including public liability insurance, personal accident and illness insurance and cover for their own property and equipment. Council has obtained public liability insurance cover for uninsured artists only and is for liability claims from third parties only.

Council has identified suitable performance locations across the Sunshine Coast. Locations and times may vary, please check council's website for updates.

Please contact council with details and complete an artist hazard and incident report (DOCX, 303KB).

Yes, if you have your own public liability insurance, hold a current council permit and written permission from 3 proprietors in closest proximity to the proposed sites, stating they have not objection to Council issuing a permit for street performers at that location. Complete the proprietors consent form (DOCX, 245KB).

Artists must only perform for a maximum of  three 40 minute sets with two 20 minute intervals. If another permit holder is waiting to perform, the permit holder must conclude after their current set to allow the waiting permit holder to perform at the location.

Street performance will be primarily of a performing arts nature. Permits are not issued for acts that contain nudity or offensive, derogatory, sexual, racist or generally discriminatory material or inference.

Yes, if you fail to adhere to any of the conditions set out in your permit. See Street Performance Code of Conduct in the street performance information pack (PDF, 994KB).

You must display your permit in a highly visible position so it can be seen during your performance.