Recycling bin collection
Council provides a fortnightly recycling collection service to coast residents and commercial customers. Find out what you can place in your recycling bin.
Council provides a fortnightly recycling collection service to Sunshine Coast residents and commercial customers. Find the collection day for your yellow lid recycling bin. If you require a second recycling bin, please complete the online form.
- Yellow-lidded bins are for recyclable items only, such as newspaper, specific plastics, steel and aluminium cans.
- Yellow-lidded bins are not suitable for general and garden waste.
- General waste should be placed in your general waste bin.
- Garden waste should be placed in your garden organics bin or dropped off at a council resource recovery centre.
Read council's Guide to waste and recycling (PDF, 1MB).
Recycling waste charges
Recycling bin collection is a service provided to residents and businesses and is included in the cost of the general waste charges.
To maximise recycling from a business or household, follow these simple guidelines (PDF, 1MB) or watch our handy recycle right video series.
Newspapers, magazines, office paper, cardboard (eg. cereal boxes, egg cartons, clean, pizza boxes with (food scraped off), junk mail, envelopes, liquid paperboard (e.g. milk and juice cartons)
Please remove plastic covers from free newspapers before recycling the paper and put the plastic in the waste bin or return to a supermarket for soft plastic recycling.
Please flatten cardboard boxes before putting them in your recycling bin.
|Don't place in the recycling bin|
Waxed cardboard boxes
Paper/cardboard items heavily contaminated with oil and grease
|Recycle||All household plastic bottles and containers. These include milk, soft drink, detergent, shampoo, ice cream, juice, yoghurt and take away containers. Empty of food, drink and other contents.|
|Don't place in the recycling bin||Any item made of plastic that is not a bottle or a container such as toys, outdoor chairs, nappies, clothing, syringes, plastic films, wrap or plastic bags.|
Steel and aluminium cans
|Recycle||Food and drink cans and aerosols. Foil and aluminium pie trays scrunched into a ball.|
|Don't place in the recycling bin||Other metal products such as car parts, appliances or cutlery. These can be recycled at the resource recovery centres transfer stations.|
|Recycle||Empty glass food jars and bottles of any colour|
|Don't place in the recycling bin||Any other glass such as light bulbs, pyrex ovenware, drinking glasses, window glass or crockery such as plates, cups and mugs|
Please do not place non-recyclables in the yellow-lidded recycling bins. Placing items such as food scraps or plastic bags in the recycling bin can contaminate the recycling process.
Please empty all recyclable items before they are placed in the recycling bin.
Keep your recycling separate from waste in the home with a tub or box that you can carry to your recycling bin.
Please do not place recyclables inside a plastic bag. Place recyclables in the recycling bin loose so that the recycling can be sorted at our local Materials Recovery Facility before sending for reprocessing.
Recyclable bin collection guidelines
- Bin collection vehicles operate from 6.00am to 6.00pm. Please place your bin on the kerb before 6.00am on your collection day.
- Place your wheelie bins a minimum of 500mm apart.
- All items placed in the bin should fit loosely so that the bin empties easily.
- The bin lid must be able to close completely.
- Place your bin within half a metre from the roadside, with wheels facing away from the road.
- Ensure the collection truck has access to the bin, with no obstacles in the truck’s way.
- Please ensure your bin is returned to the property as soon as practical after emptying.
Waste collections occur between 6.00am and 6.00pm on the day of service. A service is not considered 'missed' until after 6.00pm. To report a missed service complete the online form.
Note: You should only report a missed service after 6.00pm on the service day but before close of business the following working day.
Larger recycle bin
Swap to a larger recycling bin so you can recycle more at home. Use the online form and swap your existing 240L recycle bin for a new and bigger 360L recycle bin. There is no additional cost for a 360L recycle bin.
If an owner or authorised agent requires an extra waste collection in addition to their regular service, complete the online form. Extra services are charged according to bin sizes. Refer to the fee schedule for relevant costs. An invoice will be posted to the authorised requestor. Tenants can order extra services via this form, but must pre-pay before collection.
Recycle bin enquiries
Complete the online form to:
- order new bins
- change the size of your bins
- report stolen or damaged bins
- request to cancel your bins or
- let us know if you've found a bin.
Please note that residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their bins.