Settlement services
  • Last updated:
  • 15 Nov 2022

There are a range of services that assist people to settle into the Sunshine Coast. 

Settlement Engagement and Transition Support (SETS) 

The SETS program provides free, confidential information and help for permanent residents who have arrived in Australia in the last 5 years as refugees or humanitarian entrants or family stream migrants. 

The program offers one-on-one support to individuals and provides information and referrals to those who need housing, employment, access to health, education, Centrelink, transport, domestic and family violence and legal services. 

Group information sessions are also offered. 

For more information phone (07) 5441 4660, mobile 0402 128 978 or email  

Community Action for a Multicultural Society (CAMS)  

A free service that runs from Nambour Community Centre to support multicultural people based on the Sunshine Coast.  

The CAMS worker can help with setting up groups, creating activities and supporting migrants to connect with the broader Australian community.  

The CAMS program also supports the bi-monthly Sunshine Coast Multicultural Network to help build and celebrate a diverse and inclusive community. 

For more information phone 07 5441 4724 or email  

Migrants Welcome Centre  

A space for migrants arriving in the Sunshine Coast to connect, engage, share and participate.

Migrants can receive assistance without limitations of visa status, age, gender, or cultural background.

The MWC empowers migrants by connecting them to people, places, and resources that enable them to build successful lives and enrich our community. 

Contact the Baringa Community Centre phone (07) 5353 0503 or email 

Translating important documents 

The Australian Government offers free translations of important documents within two years of your arrival in Australia. This includes translations of documents such as wedding certificates, driver’s licences and professional qualifications. 

You can also pay for translators or interpreters through the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Organisation (NAATI). Please phone 1300 557 470 or email


You may be eligible for government assistance while you settle in. Services Australia issues government payments and allowances for families, students, job seekers, those with a disability and carers through Centrelink

Depending on your visa, there may be a waiting period before you can receive payments.

Centrelink has translated information to help you learn about available payments and services.

You can also phone 131 202 and ask to speak with a multilingual service officer. 

Visas and citizenship

The Department of Home Affairs issue all Australian visas and citizenships. The website is a good starting point for all the information you need.

When you become a citizen you can apply for an Australian passport.

Visa is expiring or has expired

If your visa has expired, you can talk anonymously with Department of Home AffairsPhone: 131 881, or 131 450 for translation and interpretation help.

Bringing family to Australia

If you want to bring family members to Australia you will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to check the rules and requirements. 
Phone: 131 881

Migration agents

If you want to use a Migration Agent, they must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority