- Last updated:
- 08 May 2022
The national award-winning Sunshine Coast Migrant Work Ready program helps to prepare new migrants to be ready for Australian work and businesses seeking to employ a diverse and talented workforce.
The program includes eight weeks of employment-ready workshops, a graduation event, mentoring and networking opportunities.
Through the program participants gain an understanding of:
- Australian work culture, local life and how to connect with local people
- resume writing, job hunting and interview skills
- how to make a great impression and speak with confidence
- the growth of the region and job opportunities into the future
- benefits of networking and volunteering
- how to maintain a positive mindset and set career goals.
The program is delivered in partnership with Sunshine Coast Council, Nambour Community Centre, Maroochydore Chamber of Commerce, TAFE Queensland, Volunteering Sunshine Coast and Sunshine Coast Chamber Alliance Business Mentor Program.
Expressions of interest have closed for 2021.
The case for a culturally diverse workforce
More than 2000 new migrants are moving to the Sunshine Coast annually, and local businesses have everything to gain by tapping into this growing workforce.
Employing a culturally diverse workforce leads to many benefits including:
- increased creativity and productivity
- a wider range of skills
- improved employment outcomes
- improved mental and physical health
- reduced cost of social services
- inclusive growth.
Read the case study for a culturally diverse workforce and view a short video that shares the journey of the Migrant Work Ready participants and local businesses including:
- Shadforths Civil Engineering
- McCormick Foods
- Kilcoy Global Foods
"By hiring people of diverse backgrounds, we have a greater ability to talk to and relate to customers from all over the world”
Cheryl Keegan, Kilcoy Global Foods Strategic HR Consultant.
How to get involved
Businesses, community groups and potential mentors are welcome to join the MWR program.
Whether looking to hire, wanting to share industry knowledge, or curious about including diverse voices in your workforce, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.