- Last updated:
- 28 Feb 2021
Programs and resources to help support your personal health journey
There's a lot of information out there - health programs, initiatives, campaigns on website, social media, blogs and massive amounts of advertising. It can be overwhelming and difficult to cut through it all.
To help to sort facts from fiction and fads and help you find information relevant to Australians, here's our top picks of well recognised, reliable and easy to access websites and resources.
Healthy at home
Queensland Government's Healthier. Happier. website has easy to navigate sections - Fitness, Food and Healthy Families and more. It offers practical advice, articles, tips and videos.
The updated Healthy at Home section people look for ways to manage the challenges of being at home more often than ever before:
- Active at home - exercises and workouts you can do without leaving the house
- Eating at home - food prep, cooking skills and recipes to maintain a balanced diet
- Mental wellbeing at home - tips to look after yourself and those around you
- Working at home - setting up and routines to make it comfortable and productive
- Fun at home - boredom busters and activities to keep everyone occupied
- Gardening at home - ways to get some fresh air no matter the size or space
Clever tools include Health & Fitness Age Calculator, Healthy Habit Selector and useful seasonal Fruit & Veg Calendar.
Find your 30
FIND YOUR 30 AIS SportAUS
The Australian Sports Commission through the Institute of Sport [AIS] and Sport Australia [SportAUS] want every Australian adult to commit to at least 30 minutes of activity each day. Finding Your 30 is all about finding practical ways in which anyone can work half an hour of activity into their day. The website offers simple solutions and practical ideas to get you moving:
- At Home
- At Work
- At School
- On the Weekend
There's plenty of inspiration! You'll discover a very clever Find Your 30 Timeline video, take challenges and be introduced to the program's Ambassadors.
The AIS website also has a range of Health and Wellbeing topics addressing common issues related to athletes and sport.
Eat for health
Eat for Health Australian Dietary Guidelines
The Australian Guide to Healthy Eating is a food selection guide which visually represents the proportions of the five food groups recommended for consumption each day. The Eat for Health website provides easy access sections on food essentials and eating well including:
- The Five Food Groups and how to enjoy a wide variety of foods every day
- How many serves from you need depending on your age, lifestyle and gender
- Facts about fat, salt, sugar and alcohol and why we need to eat less of these
- Tips for eating well to reduce the risk of chronic health problems
- Understanding food labels and the Health Star Rating System
- Healthy recipes offering meal and snack ideas
The website includes Nutrition Calculators to estimate your own daily energy (kilojoule) needs, nutrient requirements and number of food servings.
Heart Foundation Physical activity and your heart health
Physical activity and exercise can benefit your heart, body and mind. To help you understand about the importance of maintaining your heart health, the Health Foundation website offers a selection of topics and lots of practical ideas:
- Learn about the many benefits of activity and exercise
- Understand how much activity you need at your particular life stage
- Explore lots of ideas to get you started and how to set realistic goals
- Find tips and tools including a Heart Age Calculator and the 24-Hour Movement Guidelines
Check out Health Foundation Walking free community-based weekly organised walks from 14 locations on the Sunshine Coast.
Department of health campaigns
To assist you and those you support, the Australian Government runs ongoing campaigns to raise awareness about health issues and advise people of its preventative programs.
Active campaigns are linked on their website:
- Girls Make Your Move - inspiring, energising and empowering young women to be more active
- Dont Make Smokes Your Story - shows the impacts of smoking and the health benefits of quitting
- BreastScreen Australia - everything you need to know about the invitation to free breast screening
- Drug Help - stories, resources and links including Positive Choices, Cracks in the Ice and Turning Point
- Healthy Aussie Produce - how to include high quality, fresh produce in your diet
There are also a range of health, ageing and sports information with Health Topics listed alphabetically so you can access specific information about issues.