Black Swan Park Cotton Tree
Name origins directory
  • Last updated:
  • 12 Dec 2022

Use this directory to find out how some of the names of parks, places or community infrastructure came about.

Note: the inclusion of a park name in this directory does not imply official endorsement of the name by Sunshine Coast Council or any other authority.

If you have any information regarding the name of a park, place or community infrastructure that is not captured in this directory, please email the Heritage Library Team at

Hold command (Mac) or control key (Windows) to select multiple categories. To clear selection, use the same commands and click the item/s again.
Hold command (Mac) or control key (Windows) to select multiple categories. To clear selection, use the same commands and click the item/s again.

Displaying 179 results

  • Eleanor Shipley Park Seaview Terrace, Moffat Beach

    Eleanor Brisbane Shipley was the wife of George William Shipley who came into possession of the land in Moffat Beach which now constitutes Eleanor Shipley Park, Moffat Beach, from Francis Moffat in October 1923. On 28 October 1929, Mrs Shipley, by then a widow, transferred the land to the Landsborough Shire Council in Trust “for the public pleasure, recreational use and sport". The land is never to be sold. (It is unclear as to if the land was a donation or if the Council paid for it, but rumour has it both ways).

  • Eliza Peatling Park Gayome Street, Pacific Paradise

    Named after an early pioneer of the area who used to live on the site where the park is 1869-1958.

  • Elizabeth Daniels Park Syd Lingard Drive, Buderim

    Named after the former Maroochy Shire councillor, who served as the Mooloolaba representative of division 4 from 1967 until 1984. Betty was also involved with organisations ranging from the Clan MacLeod Society, the Central Sunshine Coast Chamber of Commerce, of which she was secretary, the Australian Red Cross (branch secretary) and the Sunshine Coast Girl Guide Association (district commissioner). She was also Alexandra Headland Mooloolaba kindergarten patron, a foundation member of the Mooloolaba Yacht Club, a Sunshine Coast Tourism and Development Board director, a patron of the Sunshine Coast Support Group for Families with Handicapped children.

  • Felicity Park Omrah Avenue, Caloundra

    The small park between the Caloundra Library and the Caloundra Regional Art Gallery named Felicity Park was sold to the then Council by Felicity and Maurice Steinsen on the condition that the trees and gardens established in the 1940s would stay as nearly as possible as they were when Caloundra's first Library was built.

  • Felix Parry Park Marcoola Esplanade, Alexandra Headland

    A parcel of land which nestled at the foot of the Sunshine Coast landmark, Mount Coolum, was leased to the Mt Coolum Golf Club for a peppercorn rental by the Suncoast Development Company, which was owned by the late Felix Parry. The club purchased the land and clubhouse from Mr. Parry in 1983 for a significantly low price. Felix Parry owned the Suncoast Development Company, a company which developed housing in the Coolum area.

  • Fielding Park Ferguson Avenue, Buderim

    Herbert. V. Fielding (1870-1947) was the youngest son of John Fielding who had, in conjunction with J.C. Dixon, established the first sugar mill on Buderim. Herbert carried on his father's Buderim property and became one of the leading banana producers. He married Rose Amelia Bines in 1904 and they had four children. Between 1903-1915 he erected three houses on the northern end of Buderim - 'Marimba', 'Buderim House' & 'Clitheroe House'.

  • Finnish Memorial Park Finland Road, Bli Bli

    Established in to commemorate the positive contribution that Finnish settlers have made to the development of the Sunshine Coast and Australia. The park was established by the Finnish cane cutter families that lived in the area. The memorial itself was created by Martti Väänänen, a sculptor from Kiiminki in Finland. The park was officially opened in 1997. Date named: 1 January 1997

  • Fishermen Park Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba

    Fisherman's Park was dedicated on the 17th September 2005 to fishermen lost at sea. The fishermen statue was sculptured by local artist Wayne Strickland. The plaque contains the names of seven fishermen lost off the Sunshine Coast. Date named: 17 September 2005

  • Floydia Bushland Reserve White Cedar Place, West Woombye

    Greg Downes had a vision of transforming an overgrown piece of bushland west of Woombye into a native tropical rainforest. After removing tens of thousands of weeds, including camphor laurels and lantana from the 13 hectare site at the headwaters of Petrie Creek, Mr Downes and representatives from the Petrie Creek Catchment Group planted more than 15,000 trees to build up the rainforest, which had been depleted following years of clearing for farmland. In doing so, he was able to save a number of plant species listed as rare or threatened with extinction. The Floydia Bushland Conservation Reserve named after the Floydia species of trees including Waratahs was officially opened on 01/03/2008 Date named: 3 January 2008

  • Foote Sanctuary (Eric Joseph Foote War Memorial Sanctuary) Foote Avenue, Buderim

    In 1948 Arnold and Hubert Foote gave about 17.5 acres of land to the Buderim Community Centre for the formation of a park that would commemorate the loyalty and sacrifice of the men of Buderim who lost their lives in the First and Second World War. This land was surveyed and named the Eric Joseph Park, in memory of their brother who was killed in the First World War. The community centre asked the Maroochy Shire Council to take over the trusteeship and it agreed to do so. After approval of both the community centre and the Shire Council, the draft was forwarded to the Titles Office in April 1949. At this time there was no access road and when the council was asked to provide this they refused on the grounds there were no funds available and there were more urgent works to be done. There was very little development done and soon the park became overgrown with noxious weeks. In 1958 the council considered selling the land which by now had been offered to the Buderim Garden Club. The club rejected the offer as it had no funds to do any development and also suggested to the council that access be made via Grant Street. A deputation of members of the community were assured that the land wouldn't be sold. In October 1963 a meeting was held at the home of Dr. Hugh Kirkland Shaw for the purpose of forming a committee. When this was done it was decided to affiliate with the Buderim War Memorial Community Centre and also change the word 'Park' to 'Sanctuary'. No officers were elected until April 1964 when Tom Simper became the first president. That year an officer from the Department of Forestry was invited to visit and give advice on developing the area, the place being so overgrown they had to enter from the south boundary. It was then Denis Eggholme who was engaged to cut a walking track from Fountain Road. In January 1965 the council gave 50 pounds for provision of access and a small dozer widened the track to what is now the car park. It then went on to the picnic area and the spring. There was so much rubbish growing, there was no hope of tree planting so working bees were formed to do clearing. The workers were asked to bring their own tools and ladies were only too happy to join in. The first tree planting was in 1966 under the supervision of Mr L Higins, Mr J Milligan, George Eggmolesse and Mrs Shaw. Later that year a fire swept through a third of the area and showed the necessity of fire breaks. Finally the council made $500 available to do this. These breaks now serve as walking tracks and as more clearing was done, tracks were made through other areas. George Eggmolesse produced the first map of the boundaries and tracks. In 1966, tree planting was well established with only indigenous varieties being used. At first they had to be watered by hand from drums, but after it was reticulated, the council provided extensions to reach the parking and picnic areas so long hoses could be used. The picnic area became a barbeque site when a fireplace was built and tables and seats constructed. In 1971 it was so popular that the council was asked to provide toilets, so two years later toilets were added. As Buderim became a residential area, many retired folk made it their home and gave generous financial donations to the Eric Joseph War Memorial Sanctuary Committee. Membership, at a cost of 2 shillings per annum, rose to almost 80. In 1974 it was more than 100. That year a dinner held at Buderim Mountain Motel was very successful and established the committee as on of the leading organisations in Buderim. Today it is the Eric Joseph Foote War Memorial Sanctuary, a place of coolness and quietness for folks to meet, wander along bush tracks and enjoy the surroundings. Date named: 10 January 1963