- Last updated:
- 12 Dec 2022
Use this directory to find out how some of the names of parks, places or community infrastructure came about.
Note: the inclusion of a park name in this directory does not imply official endorsement of the name by Sunshine Coast Council or any other authority.
If you have any information regarding the name of a park, place or community infrastructure that is not captured in this directory, please email the Heritage Library Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Displaying 179 results
D J Barker Park Glennie Close, Caloundra West
D J Barker Park was named to recognise, in memoriam, a well recognised and respected businessman who made a significant contribution to the local Caloundra Community. David John Barker and his wife moved to Caloundra in 1933 and opened the pharmacy "Barkers Pharmacy' on Bulcock Street. He was very active in civil and local affairs being the foundation president and life member of Caloundra Bowls Club, life member of Caloundra Golf Club, foundation member of Caloundra Masonic Lodge. Date named: 13 November 2018
Des Dwyer Walkway 18 Victoria Terrace, Shelly Beach
Des Dwyer came to live in Caloundra as a chid and attended Caloundra School during World War II. He joined the Metropolitan Surf Life Saving Club in 1948 and remained a member all his life. He was awarded Life Membership. His family ran an electrical business in Caloundra from the 1940s to 2015. Des served as an Alderman from 1988 to 1991 and Mayor from 1994 to 2000 on the Caloundra City Council. Des passed away in 2013. His son, Tim, has been a Councillor on the Caloundra City Council / Sunshine Coast Council from 2000 to 2018 onwards. As well as this walkway, Des has the Beerwah and District Library and a surf boat named after him. He was awarded an Order of Australia medal for his services to Local Government and Surf Life Saving.
Des Scanlan Park Cotton Tree Parade, Maroochydore
Named after prominent local businessman Des Scanlan, who helped establish the Energex Rescue Helicopter Service with the purchase of a single Bell 206 Jetranger helicopter. This service was operated from a base at the Big Cow on the Bruce Highway, Yandina.
Diamond Head Park Esplanade, Golden Beach
Named after its location in Caloundra. This park is colloquially known as the Butterfly Park because of the butterfly-attracting trees, shrubs, herbs and grasses in the open forest and mangrove ecosystems of the park. These plants provide habitat for more than 40 species of butterfly.
Dick Caplick Park Napier Road, Eumundi
Many of the trees in Caplick Park in Eumundi were planted by Eumundi pioneer Dick Caplick, rather a quirk seeing as he spent most of his early life cutting down trees. Like others of his time, tree-cutting was the job of the moment. It was in later life he wanted to replace that which he had removed in his youth as a Eumundi tree-cutter. Born in 1893 at Canungra, Dick Caplick came to Eumundi in 1901 and attended the local school. His four brothers, Fred, William, August and Ronald were all considered expert scrub fellers and timber workers and their services were constantly sought. Dick lived until he was 94, he had a love for plants and trees and felt as though he was giving back when he planted in Caplick Park. Dick Caplick was part of Eumundi pioneer family, timber getter, adventurer, outdoorsman and war veteran. Dick was born in 1893 and died in Nambour 1987. His statue was originally in this park.
Dot Billingham Park Peony Circuit
Dot Billingham was an important and well recognised part of the Little Mountain community. She was active in the care of the local environment including the beautification and protection of water bodies and flora in Parklands. She held positions as Co-chair of Parklands Community Group, Co-chair of National Tree Day and lead Project Officer for Relay For Life (Nambour, Maleny, Kawana, Gympie).
Dr. Tony Parer Park Bean Street, Maleny
Dr. Tony Parer’s family was well respected in Maleny especially as Dr. Tony served as resident at the Maleny Hospital for 21 years until 1952. They lived next door to the Hospital. He delivered virtually all the children who were born in the district in that time, as he was the sole doctor in Maleny and the then developing areas of Caloundra, Landsborough, Conondale and Witta. Tony and Peg Parer were stalwarts of the Maleny community, raising money for the financing of the Community Hall and developing healthy diets among the residents. This included collecting fish during his Friday medical rounds in Caloundra, blowing the horn as he arrived up Maple Street for customers to collect.
Edmund and George Biggs Park Magpie Street, Nambour
Named after Edmund and George Biggs who were early pioneers of the Mapleton area. In 1892 Edmund and George Biggs were the first people in the district to plant strawberries and oranges on their land.
Edward Corbould Bushland Reserve West Caloundra Road, Caloundra
Harold Edward (Ted) Corbould (1909-1989), a property developer of the Sunshine Coast area, pastoralist and philanthropist. In 1980 he sold land at Caloundra cheaply to the Landsborough Shire Council for what was to become the Corbould Park racecourse.
Eggmolesse Environmental Park Rim Rd, Buderim
The Eggmolesse Environmental Park in Rim Road, Buderim, honours a family that has contributed significantly to the Buderim community for more than 100 years. George Eggmolesse donated the land as a community park before he died in 1988, with the request it be left in its natural state.