- Last updated:
- 12 Dec 2022
Use this directory to find out how some of the names of parks, places or community infrastructure came about.
Note: the inclusion of a park name in this directory does not imply official endorsement of the name by Sunshine Coast Council or any other authority.
If you have any information regarding the name of a park, place or community infrastructure that is not captured in this directory, please email the Heritage Library Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Displaying 179 results
Clarke Place Park The Esplanade, Happy Valley, Caloundra
In 1924, Evan and Grace Clarke, and their nine children, settled on the Passage at Maloja Avenue and opened Caloundra's first Ice Works that was later destroyed by a cyclone. They established a year-round commercial fishing business and also provided locals with ice (electricity came to Caloundra in 1941). At Happy Valley the Clarke Place Plaque commemorates one of Caloundra's fishing families. Over 75 years, the Clarke family have taken part in over 50 rescues in Pumicestone Passage and the ocean. They were awarded a citation from the Humane Society of Australia.
Cliff Butt Promenade Cornmeal Parade, Maroochydore
Former Coast business identity and resident Cliff Butt was recognised for his lifelong community service and extensive community involvement. Sunshine Coast Council approved the naming of Cornmeal Creek Pedestrian Promenade at Maroochydore to Cliff Butt Promenade following an application made by local businessman Mr Barrie Woods OAM. The Butt family played a major part in the Maroochy retail industry for much of the twentieth century with his grandparents and parents from 1910 operating a store on the banks of the Maroochy River. Three generations of the family have been recognised for their foresight, initiative, enterprise and hard work in helping to create the flourishing town of Maroochydore. Cliff took over the business following his father's death in 1940 and revamped the Duporth store to include a self-service supermarket and drapery. He joined with two local businessmen in 1972-73 to develop the Big Top, the first drive-in shopping centre, from what was Butt's cash and carry store, drapery and post office. Cliff was credited with helping to establish the fire brigade, Rotary, Lions, ambulance and surf life saving. He also held positions on organisations such as Blue Nursing, the Ratepayers Association and the Chamber of Commerce. He also served as a Maroochy councillor from 1952 to 1955.
Cliff Hargreaves Park Westaway Parade, Currimundi
Named after Cliff Hargreaves who had been a resident of Currimundi for many years. During this time he played a significant role in maintaining the cleanliness of the beach around Currimundi Lake and to supplement Council's endeavours in this area. As an active member of various community groups including Friends of Currimundi Lake, Neighbourhood Watch and Sunshine Coast Amputee Support Group, he received an award from the Mayor of Caloundra City in recognition of his outstanding service to his local community. Date named: 27 October 2003
Cobb & Co Bushland Reserve Woombye
Following the discovery of gold at Gympie in 1867, the Government built a road connecting Brisbane to Gympie. It was completed in October 1868 and by November, Cobb & Co. coaches were carrying passengers, mail, goods and gold between Brisbane and Gympie. This bushland reserve in Woombye is named after the Cobb and Co coaches that used to stop overnight in the town.
Colin Dalzell Mackay Bridge David Low Way, Diddillibah
Since the 1880's, the Dalzell family's community involvement in the Dulong region has gained much respect. So much so, after proposals to council, Jennifer Catalano and her late aunty Fay Campbell proposed the Petrie Creek Bridge be renamed as Colin Dalzell Mackay Bridge after Jennifer's grandfather and Fay's father Colin Dalzell Mackay. In April 2015, the Queensland Government accepted Jenny's request and the Colin Dalzell Mackay Bridge was named. Colin was born in Brisbane in 1906 but grew up along Maroochy River. On July 25, 1934, Colin married Regina "Mary" Kuskopf. Like Colin and his siblings, their children all attended Bli Bli and Diddillibah schools. Over the years, Colin contributed immensely to the region. Colin Dalzell Mackay's community involvement included: Contributed to the Bli Bli Presbyterian Church build in 1937; Helped move the Diddillibah School house to its current location by horse and logs ca1938 with his brother-in-law E Kuskopf; Felled blood wood from his property to supply the second Dusty Rhodes Bridge in 1953; From the 1940's Colin and his sons supplied their own sugar cane to the Moreton Central Sugar Mill, Nambour until its closure in 2003. Date named: April 2015
Corbin Shackleford Memorial Soccer Park Nojoor Road, Mudjimba
In February 2002, the soccer fields were officially named the 'Corbin Shackleford Memorial Park' in memory of Corbin Noel Shackleford. Corbin was only 10 years old when he died. Corbin died tragically after a shocking collision between his bicycle and a car. Corbin was a bright spirited boy who enjoyed playing the world game and had shown great potential as a junior player during his years at the Club. Corbin was a student of Pacific Paradise State School. Date named: 2 January 2002
Coulson Wharf Park Yandina-Coolum Road, Maroochy River
In 1909, Coulson established the mailboat service on the Maroochy River, which provided the first regular connection between Coolum & the railhead at Yandina. In 1911, a horse-drawn tramline and punt loading facilities were built at Coolum Creek. The punt carried cane to the tram at Dunethin Rock for transport to Nambour.
Crummunda Park Coongarra Esplanade, Wurtulla
Council suggested the name Crummunda Park because this particular area had been named ‘Crummunda’ by surveyor Burnett in his original plan of survey in 1845. Early surveyors of the Moreton Bay district took time to ask local aborigines the names of local features, which the surveyors then noted on their plans. Unfortunately, the surveyors seldom noted the English meanings of the place names given and with the passing of the aborigines many of these meanings will never be known. At the time that the place name Currimundi, also spelt Curramundi, is a corruption of the Kabi dialect words meaning “place of flying foxes”.
Currie Park Bundarra Street, Nambour
Named after the Currie Family who established Currie's Nambour Hotel in 1981. The Currie family also gave their name to the main street. They were Commission Agents, owned the first general store in Nambour, a butcher shop and later the pub.
Cyss Park Fourth Avenue, Maroochydore
This park was created an developed by young people as part of the Commonwealth funded Community Youth Support Scheme (CYSS).