- Last updated:
- 12 Dec 2022
Use this directory to find out how some of the names of parks, places or community infrastructure came about.
Note: the inclusion of a park name in this directory does not imply official endorsement of the name by Sunshine Coast Council or any other authority.
If you have any information regarding the name of a park, place or community infrastructure that is not captured in this directory, please email the Heritage Library Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Displaying 179 results
Mooloolaba's Cannon Park is named after Dudley and Beryl Cannon. The Cannon family first arrived on the Sunshine Coast in the 1880s. Dudley's grandfather, William (Jack) Cannon owned Seaspray Boarding House in Maroochydore in the 1930s. He owned and ran the boarding house for 13 years. William Cannon's son, Richard and his wife Caroline Beatrice Maud Mary Lander owned Wickham Boarding House in Caloundra from 1920 until 1926. Dudley lived in Caloundra with his parents, however when his mother Caroline died, he left Caloundra and went to live with his Uncle Alma and Aunty Elizabeth (nee Cannon) Tucker, near where Tuckers Creek Mooloolaba is today. Beryl and Dudley had five children including Douglas "Dougie" Cannon (who lived in Mooloolaba all his life until passing in 2006), John Richard (Jake) Cannon, Kevin Cannon, Cheryl Cannon and Tony (Tex) Cannon. Kevin Cannon is fifth generation still living on the Coast, his daughter Donna and her sons still live here too. The Cannon family have been fishing from the Coast beaches for 100 years, mostly from Mooloolaba and more recently Mudjimba beaches. Dudley Cannon, became a deep sea fisherman and a well-known Mooloolaba identity. The family still hold the licence to catch mullet today on Mooloolaba Beach but due to the amount of people on the beaches, restrictions to when they can fish and the change in the mullet run, they rarely venture there these days. Dudley and Beryl's son, Kevin Cannon, 69, is known as the 'Mullet Man' and can still be found staring at the sea and watching for the mullet during the season. He recalls days in the 1960s when him and his brother Jake would take their old beaten up car towing their small fishing dingy at 6am to fish for Mullet. This was along the old 'Nicklin Track' before it was a road. Jake would always say "That's not enough...Let's head up Noosa Way'. They'd then drive to Noosa, have a sleep and fish until midnight. In the late 1960s Kevin and Jake purchased a prawn trawler named Margaret Rose. Dudley married Beryl (nee Henricks) on January 16, 1942 at the Maroochydore Baptist Church. Beryl wore a frock of white Shan tung silk and matching accessories and held a bouquet of frangipani and maidenhair fern. She was given away by her father, George Henricks and attended by her sister, Dulcie Henricks. The reception was held at Beryl's parent's home in George St, Maroochydore and the newlyweds decided to settle close by in Mooloolaba. Dudley and Beryl's granddaughter Donna Cannon recalls her grandfather telling her a tale of him watching a Prince swim in Mooloolaba Beach and making sure he wouldn't drown. Donna thought it was just an interesting tale, however she recently discovered an article from December 1934 in the Nambour Chronicle about the occasion. As it turns out, Dudley was quite the Surf Life Saving hero. Another article from Nambour Chronicle in January 20134 documents a Mooloolaba rescue performed by Dudley and his good friend Bill Curruthers during choppy seas and a strong current.
Centaur Park Ormonde Terrace, Kings Beach
Centaur Park is a permanent memorial to those who lost their lives when the hospital ship AHS Centaur was sunk by a Japanese submarine 1-177 on the 14th of May 1943. The location of the wreck was discovered late in 2009. The annual memorial service in the park is a particularly poignant occasion.
Chambers Island Park Alexandra Headland
Named after Thomas and Charles Chambers, early Maroochy District Pioneers who settled in the area in the 1860s.
Charles Clarke Park 13 - 47 River Esplanade
Charles Clarke was a prominent member of the Mooloolaba region during the early 1920s right up until his death in August 1968, aged 77. He purchased land in front of the public wharf on River Esplanade, Mooloolaba in 1925 while living with his family in Buderim. Charles worked in various trades before joining Queensland Railway and after five years as manager of the Buderim to Palmwoods Tramway, he began a carrying business at Buderim. In 1922 Charles started the first regular service to Buderim, Alexandra Headland and Mooloolaba using his own bus. The bus was a Ford Model T, one ton truck fitted with a covered wagon type of all-weather protection and canvas seats. It could carry eleven passengers and provided a daily service except Wednesday and Sundays. Charles extended his transport business to include carrying milk, mail and various grocery lines. The Ford bus lacked sufficient power to take full loads up the hill to Buderim (then known as Footes Hill) so adult male passengers had to walk up the hill while ladies and children rode in the bus. Charles Clarke subsequently purchased a new, more powerful Federal Knight chassis which was fitted under the same passenger body. This proved a huge success and the arrangements continued on until 1929, when Charles acquired an extra open tower and Willys Knight automobile. He was also the owner and operator of Mooloolah Pioneer Store from January 1, 1922 till December 31, 1925. As Mooloolaba Heads became a popular holiday destination, the Lanham brothers built a two storey building named Bondoola for Charles in 1928 on the land he purchased. Bondoola contained a boarding house, café and store and became a popular holiday destination for people that came to the coast by train to Palmwoods, and then by bus down to Mooloolaba. A week's accommodation cost two guineas ($4.40), including all meals. The boarding house closed shortly after the death of Charles's wife, Minnie, in 1942 his daughter Gertrude (Gertie Clarke) continued to run the café and shop. A Mooloolaba local, Donna Cannon recalls fond memories of this icon shop growing up. "Clarke's store was my local store growing up on Brisbane Rd, Mooloolaba. Bought lollies there. So many friends remember Gert and her lolly selection," Donna said. In 1948, Charles Clarke was elected president at the first formal meeting of the Mooloolaba Bowling Club. During his club membership, Charles held the position of President for a total of nine terms and was honoured with a life membership in 1956. In 1976 the Bondoola building and land were sold. The building was renovated and converted to offices in 1986 and was subsequently demolished to make way for a multistorey apartment block which was erected in 2002. The new building retained the name 'Bondoola'.
Chris Buddha-Handy Bushland Park Campbellville Circuit, Pelican Waters
Named after Queensland and Australian Rugby Union player, commentator and media personality Chris Buddha-Handy.
Chris Byerlee Park Campbell Street, Moffat Beach
Named after Chris Byerlee who settled in Caloundra in 1938 and passed away in 1979. He established the first commercial caravan park in Queensland, 'Tooway Caravan Park' at Moffatt Beach. The park was four acres and the boundaries of the park were Campbell, Roderick, Buccleugh Streets and Tooway Creek / Lake. Chris beautified the park with the help of his white horse 'Daisy', and he built a pergola, a moon bridge over the creek to the beach and cabins along the creek. He also sunk a bore for water. During World War II, the army used his cabins.
Christiansen Park Summer Drive, Maroochydore
Named after former CEO of Maroochy Shire Council.
Christina Low Park Nambour-Yandina Connection Road, Yandina
Christina Low was the wife of James Low and the grandmother of David Alan Low. Early pioneers of Yandina were Christina Low (1838 – 1912), James Low (1828 – 1883). David Alan Low (1911 – 1974) was the member for Cooroora from 1947 – 1974 and Chairman of Maroochy Shire Council from 1952 – 1967.
Churinga-Alex Bluff Park Alexandra Parade, Alexandra Headland
This parkland, just south of 'The Corner', was once an unofficial camping ground, but in 1972 it was resumed for a Port and Harbour Reserve and a navigation beacon erected. Now part of the very popular coastal walking and cycling path, the northern end was named Churinga Park after the 1974 Churinga Tree Walk Committee (led by Elizabeth Daniels and Betsan Coates of Booloorong fame) who encouraged beautification of the foreshore. A garden was laid out around the base of the light and the rock wall with steps built to protect the northern part of the Headland which had been washed away by heavy seas in 1974.
Cilento Bushland Conservation Reserve Waterfall Road, Nambour
The 10.5 hectares of land where Cilento Reserve is now located had been donated by Sir Ralph and Dame Phyllis Cilento to Maroochy Shire Council in 1952. The Cilentos were both prominent Sunshine Coast medical practitioners from old Mooloolaba families. They were also parents to Diane Cilento, who was an Australian theatre and film actress in the 1950s and 1960s. She was better known as actor Sean Connery's first wife. Cilento Reserve's historical value lies in it being a World War II memorial. It was occupied by the 7th Battery 2/4th field artillery during that war.