Property fences
  • Last updated:
  • 15 Aug 2021

A well designed and constructed fence can provide visual appeal and add value to your property.

Before you build your fence:

  • talk to your neighbours
  • check your property boundaries
  • check if you need approval
  • dial before you dig
  • get advice if your old fence could contain asbestos.

Do I need approval to build a fence?

Fences up to two metres high above the fences natural ground surface can generally be built without building approval.

You must have development approval from a private building certifier if your fence:

  • is swimming pool fencing
  • has a retaining wall a part of the fence
  • restricts or channels stormwater run off causing a nuisance or erosion.

In certain circumstances, the private certifier must refer the fence to council for assessment against the Queensland Development Code.

Other conditions may apply to your property if it is in a master planned community or has existing development approvals. These may restrict certain types of fencing. You can find this information in your purchase contract or you can contact council.

A fence that borders the road reserve must be wholly located within the boundary of the property.

You need consent from council to build anything on a road reserve.

A fence, screen, retaining wall or similar structure must allow traffic to have a clear line of vision around the corner.

Refer to the Queensland Development Code for fence heights on corner blocks.

The Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act 2011 provides ways for neighbours to resolve disputes about dividing fences. The State Government regulates these matters.

  • Speak to your neighbour first. Many people do not realise the problem is occurring and are happy to cooperate.
  • See the Department of Justice and Attorney General website for a copy of the Act, forms and FAQs.
  • A solicitor can assist with legal considerations between neighbours, including liability and damages.

If you and your neighbour cannot resolve the problem, the State Justice Department Dispute Resolution Centre can provide mediation without legal action.